Dienstag, 31. Mai 2011

Black Thumb.

I'd like to share another success with you.

For as long as I can remember, I've been the grim reaper of plants. Well, flowers really. Not even I can kill a philodendron. The thing is, up until recently, I chose not to own indoor plants, because they would invariably die within a month of purchase. One "african star" survived a little longer. Once it stopped blooming, the stalk of the flower shrivelled up and hung there for a while. I made the mistake of trimming the dead stalk to make the plant look better. It died within a week.

But, some time early this year, I fell in love with orchids and I decided to give it one more shot. I waited until Ikea had a special and purchased a small one (about 18" in height) for €4. That was in March. Not only is it still alive at the end of May, but it has been blooming the entire time. It's growing like crazy and it's regularly replacing its old flowers with new ones.

It'll probably die this summer while I'm on vacation, but until then, I'm going to enjoy my newly-discovered inner gardener.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen