Freitag, 17. August 2012

Totally Plain Denim Miniskirt

I *could* have just bought a denim miniskirt for €10, but then again, why buy for cheap what you can make for free?

I attempted, for the second time, to alter a pair of jeans into a miniskirt. The first attempt was years ago and I did it entirely by hand because I didn't have my own sewing machine yet. I wore it for a short period of time before chucking it. I decided to try again when I was forced to sort out a pair of jeans that had become too short. They were exactly what I needed for altering purposes: They had little to no distressing on the seams. 

See, when you sew the inner legs together to make a skirt, your new seam won't have the same distressing that the manufacturer put everywhere else. It looks awkward, and to be honest, I simply don't like a distressed middle seam on a jeans skirt. Why would your skirt be distressed there? The only answer I can think of is humping trees. And your preference for botanic intimacy is not necessarily something you want to be broadcasting with your clothing.

I'm going to admit, here and now, that I started altering these jeans about a year ago. And I started by hand because the sewing machine still scared me a bit. I also had to wait until I could use my dress form in New York to get the hem straight. I only surged the hem while I was in the states, but today I finally did the finishing touches.

Here's a picture of the finished product:

Yes, this my kitchen.
The distressing on the thighs looks a little weird the way it kind of just stops at the hem, instead of fading into it, but whatever. The hem is also a little wonky, but ironing helped a bit. I think if I ever make a denim skirt again, I'll make sure to use non-stretch denim.

So, what do you think of the burgundy paisley tights? I can't decide whether they're amazingly cute or whether they make me look diseased!

4 Kommentare:

  1. You're leaving me in the dust when it comes to "finishing things". It looks good, and I don't think the distressing looks odd at all. The tights on the other hand... I vote for "diseased". But I already told you I didn't care for them. :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I'll have another finished project in a couple of days! :)

      I basically have forbidden myself to start my headboard or elven dress until I've finished all of my in-progress projects.

      Do you think the tights would have been better in navy blue or black? I really think it's the color in combination with the pattern that makes it look strange. And I totally understand your opinion. I tried not to stare at the disfigured skin on some girl's legs once, until I realized she was just wearing sheer tights with big pale pink roses all over them. Oops!

      Löschen
  2. That skirt is awesome! You awe me with your sewing skills, I'm super jealous.

    Not so sure about the tights: I'm distracted by the distressed patterning on the boots. Would they look better with solid black boots, I wonder? But then, I prefer solid EVERYTHING. I'm wearing a patterned dress today, and it's kind of freaking me out. I just have to try to not look at myself, and wear a solid corduroy jacket to tone it down.

    That's a long way of saying I couldn't put them on myself, but the colour is so dark that I don't think diseased, I just think sartorially adventurous...

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you! God knows how much of an inspiration you are to, me Caroline! I still have the first hat you ever knit for me, and when I compare it to the amazing things you create now, it's amazing!

      Haha, I can understand your discomfort with patterns. There's a fine line between good and bad patterns! And I'm not adventurous until I wear the tights out of the house!

      Löschen